How to Tell When you Need a New Mattress
Contrary to popular belief, your mattress is the most important piece of furniture in your home. No, that Hi-Def TV or that Front Loading Washing Machine are not the most important. For most people, no item in your home will get more hours of use. We spend approximately one-third of our lives on them. No other piece of furniture contributes so directly to your health and well being. If your mattress is more than 10 years old, if it has formed annoying peaks, valleys or lumps, or if you wake up stiff and sore, it’s probably time for a new one.
The short of it is that your body needs a restful night’s sleep in order to be fresh for the day ahead. The effects of poor sleep can have negative effects on memory, cognitive skills, digestion and potentially many other functions. A mattress that is worn out or poorly suited to your needs can cause you to lose valuable sleep. To the contrary, sleeping on the right mattress can help you sleep better.
Obvious signs that your old mattress has seen better days:
- A valley has developed in the section of the mattress where you sleep,
- Sagging across the middle third of the mattress or along the sides makes you roll toward your partner,
- The mattress makes creaking noises,
- Soft, non-supportive edges are a sign of edge breakdown,
- You’re waking up sore or stiff in the morning,
- You’ve developed reoccurring back pain.
HOW TIRED ARE YOU?
Signs that you are not getting enough sleep:
- You are always tired in the morning,
- You are having constant difficulty getting out of bed,
- You are in need of a nap during the day,
- You are irritable,
- You are unable to concentrate,
- You sleep better in daybeds that are not your own,
- You are not sleeping well.
Poor sleeping habits and the effects of sleep deprivation is usually the first sign that you need a new mattress.
YOU ARE THE BEST TEST OF A MATTRESS
Obviously a good night’s sleep is crucial. Sleep helps replenish the vital energy you expend during the day. If you’re not getting refreshing, deep sleep, it is probably time to shop for a new mattress and find the best mattress for sale according your sleep pattern and comfort. See our Buying Tips for help.